History of Central Electric, Inc. in Salt Lake City, UT

LeGrand Robbins founded Robbins Electric 1910. LeGrand was involved in general maintenance in the Salt Lake Valley and was one of the few who had a working knowledge of electricity. He found himself being contacted by an ever increasing number of residents and companies to install electric lights in their homes and businesses.

As a result, he launched his business from his home in the Avenues where he had to have two phone lines because the city had two phone companies, each serving one half of the city. In the years that followed he trained several of his sons in the trade. As a result, Waterloo Electric was established by his son Don and another son W.P. “Phil” Robbins went on to establish Central Electric Company in 1934.

When LeGrand died in 1947, Phil picked up the license and name for Robbins Electric. Twenty-four years later, Phil's sons, Michael and Peter, joined him and incorporated Robbins Central Electric Company Inc., DBA Central Electric Co. Inc.
 
In 1986, Michael chose another career path and Peter took over the day-to-day management. In 1993, Phil Robbins passed away. Today the family tradition continues with the participation of Peter's son-in-law, Brian Bottino. Both are fully involved in the daily operation of the company.
 
Central Electric has created a strong base of loyal customers over its many years in business and has been able to help them grow and expand. Central, for example, installed the first electric lights and motor in the bakery of Wonder Bread. LeGrand Robbins designed and oversaw the moving of the electrical and phone lines from overhead to underground in downtown Salt Lake City. Upon successfully completing that project, he was asked by both Chicago and San Francisco to complete the same type of project for those cities as well.
 
 
From its humble beginnings to today's robust electrical and data contracting firm, the theme of our company is, and always has been, “Customer Service.”
 
We celebrated our 100th anniversary in 2010 and invite you to join with us honoring our great heritage.